A close up of the assembled carburetor after float bowl & cover were resurfaced.
My radiator hoses featured original style hose clamps with a Buick script engraved. To fix the coolant leak I tried simply tightening those clamps but the leak was persistent. When I installed modern hose clamps the leak disappeared so, at this time, those fancy Buick clamps have been relegated to the spare parts shelf.
Once my engine was leak free it was finally time to have a little fun with the car. I started by running the car at a standstill at variable RPMs. This was fun for a little while but (naturally) before too long it was time to put the car in gear and drive it around. There was just one little thing preventing me from doing this and that was a lack of brakes!
My wheel cylinders were still at Apple being sleeved and rebuilt but I figured nothing could possibly go wrong and pushed the car out into open air. Living next to a grass airfield has its advantages and wide open space was certainly one of them as I drove around slowly with no brakes. The sensation of pressing on the brake pedal with no response is interesting and before too long I smartened up and pushed the car back inside.
About this time I remembered my new emergency/parking brake cables and quickly learned that the cables have a front and rear section — I had only had the rear section built so I was back on the phone with George Martin to order the front section. The emergency brake works quite simply. When a lever under the dash is pulled the front portion of the cable assembly pulls on the rear cables, actuating the brake. The front and rear section of the assembly meet in the middle of the frame where it is bolted to the rail. If the assembly is not bolted to the frame there is too much slack and the brakes won't be actuated when the lever is pulled.
Diagram showing the parking brake installation.